Friday, June 24, 2005

Turtles are eating my impatiens

I started out with a beautiful flower bed but the impatiens have been doing poorly at one side. The flowers have been disappearing from the stems and then the stems were being chopped off. I thought maybe there was a rabbit around although I haven't seen one this year. This "disease" has been slowly spreading from the south end to the north end. I couldn't find any evidence of insects. This is along the back side of my house so I thought it was odd. Now I could understand if there was a turtle living in the flower bed but we caught him red-handed, er, I mean, with impatien-breath. Ah ha!! Well, actually he was high-tailing across the lawn with impatien flowers all over his shell. I asked my daughter what she thought he was doing in the impatien bed. Well, that's obvious - eating them. Good grief - I guess he didn't care for the hostas, fatsias or sedum we had in there. Now what do I do to keep a turtle out aside from putting up a little fence which I think would be tacky. I like turtles, but I like impatiens too. We have had lots of turtles coming out of the lake to lay their eggs in our lawn. Another daughter took a picture of a leatherback turtle laying eggs in our lawn yesterday. A few minutes later, the crows were trying to get to the eggs. I thought all the holes I have been finding in the lawn were due to skunks trying to get at grubs. Life is different living on the lake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.