Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Buttonhole, Buttonhole, Who's Got the Buttonhole?

Okay, so I found out I am having a beautiful little granddaughter. I have had my eye on that beautiful February sweater of Elizabeth Zimmermann's and was hoping for a girl so I could make that one. I think it is probably too feminine for a little boy.

I made two baby surprise jackets rather quickly but this pattern looks a little more complicated. I started the yoke and after 27 rows realized that I was supposed to put in a buttonhole approximately every 8 rows as I went along. Ummm, ooops. I checked other samples of this sweater on flickr and could see that I am not the only one. This is a common mistake made with this sweater. My fault for not reading the whole pattern first - lol. There are lots of clever adaptations I could make. After debating for a couple of hours I ripped it back to the first 4 ridges . I know I could have "fixed" it but with a baby sweater the whole thing shouldn't take very long.

I should write down step by step notes for this one. I should check to see if someone else already has notes. I should maybe buy the dvd. lol I love the way this cute little sweater looks. I should practice the pattern with some scrap yarn first. I can make some very odd mistakes. Sometimes they look great and sometimes they look -- interesting. I have already thought of a way to make the yoke a little different than the pattern calls for. We shall see what happens.

I have seen some very pretty adaptations I would like to try, but really, how many sweaters can one baby use? I should make some hats or booties. A girl can never have too many hats or shoes.

No comments: